Friday, September 09, 2005

Ante Diem IV Idus September





Modern Date : September 10th

Ante Diem IV Idus September
The Ludi Romani


This is one of the dies comitiales when committees of citizens could vote on political or criminal matters.

The Ludi Romani, the great games in honor of Jupiter (Jove) continued this day and were celebrated through to the 19th.

September is the 'magical' seventh month (after March).


Kernunnos
Throughout ancient Europe, this is the day of the Horned One, of the Celtic god Kernunnos. Two weeks before the Autumn Equinox, shamanic dancers wore reindeer horns to honor and pray for an abundance of deer and other wild horned beasts whose meat, hides, horn and bones were vital to the tribe's survival during the coming winter.

In England the dance has continued to the modern day as part of the Wake's Monday festivities in Staffordshire, England. (See Monday Sept. 4th) Kernunnos along with the Greek god Pan became demonized by the Christian church and images of them became those of the devil. This is where modern Christians get their ideas that Pagans are devil worshipers. It's interresting to note that the word Lucifer means "light bearer" or "light bringer" in Latin. The Celtic God Kernunos is a Sun god like that of Amon Ra, Apollo, Lugh, and Balder, but so to is the Christian Christ. The Sun(son) God has had many names for as many cultures and is the highest god in Patriarchal religions. Sun worship replaced the feminine Moon religions when man moved from hunter gatherer to that of an agricultural society.

CALL OF THE GOD
I am the radiant King of the Heavens, flooding the Earth with warmth and encouraging the hidden seed of creation to burst forth into manifestation. I lift my shining spear to light the lives of all beings and daily pour forth my gold upon the Earth, putting to flight the powers of darkness.

I am the master of the beasts wild and free. I run with the swift stag and soar as a sacred falcon against the shimmering sky. The ancient woods and wild places emanate my powers, and the birds of the air sing of my sanctity.

I am also the last harvest, offering upgrain and fruits beneath the sickle of time so that all may be nourished. For without planting there can be no harvest; without winter, no spring.

Worship me as the thousand-named Sun(Son) of Creation, the spirit of the horned stag in the wild, the endless harvest. See in the yearly cycle of festivals my birth, death and rebirth - and know that such is the destiny of all creation.

I am the spark of life, the radiant Sun, the giver of peace and rest, and I send my rays of blessings to warm the hearts and strengthen the minds of all.
-Scott Cunningham, (The Internet Book of Shadows)

Kernunnos, The Horned God, is the Celtic father of animals, Patron God of Druidism. Kernunnos is representative of the male aspect of union with the Earth. Shamanic priesthoods, those whom have a patriarchal base, hold Kernunnos in special reverence. His stag, a companion friend, is an archetype of mature, masculine energies, that lay in balance with the natural world around us. Often he is depicted in a meditative stance, in attunement with nature, Kernunnos guides us to seek rebalance from dominating conditions. Perfect stability leads to perfect stagnation. Most engravings of him depict a torc about his neck, showing his commitment to nature and the earth. With his right hand, Kernunnos gifts the followers with the Torc of initiation. His left hand controls a ram-headed serpent [snake]. The serpent is a representation of the male sexual power and vitality, reminding us to always maintain control of our desires. Kernunnos is known by many names and faces: Kern the Mighty, The Horned One, The Antlered One, Herne the Hunter, Lord of animals, The Stag King, and The Winter Lord. Kernunnos is very elusive, and if often known as "He who hides behind Tree's" or "He who is both hunter and hunted". The Favored tree of Kernunnos is Pine, and it is said that he resides within the depths of every forest.

THE STAG OF SEVEN TINES
I am a stag, of seven tines,
I am a flood, across a plain,
I am a wind, on a deep lake,
I am a tear, the Sun lets fall,
I am a hawk, above the cliff,
I am a thorn, beneath the nail,
I am a wonder, among flowers,
I am a wizard, who but I
Sets the cool head aflame with smoke.

I am a spear, that roars for blood,
I am a salmon, in a pool,
I am a lure, from paradise,
I am a hill, where poets walk,
I am a boar, ruthless and red,
I am a breaker, threatening doom,
I am a tide, that drags to death,
I am an infant, who but I
Peeps from the unhewn dolmen arch.

I am the womb, of every holt,
I am the blaze, on every hill,
I am the queen, of every hive,
I am the shield, for every head,
I am the tomb, of every hope.
-Robert Graves, (The White Goddess, 1948)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home